Monday, August 31, 2009

Core Fusion: My First Time


Core Fusion®,  -- Exhale’s combination of Pilates, Yoga, and the Lotte Berk Method -- is hardly new. With exceptional teaching, efficient use of time, and energizing music, old parts shine.
                My first class was with Barbara Boolukos, who has studied the Lotte Berk Method since the early 1980s. (Lotte Berk is like the other Joseph Pilates). During the 3 p.m. class, Exhale’s South Central Park location seemed empty, enabling Barbara more time with each student.
                Hands-on help was appropriate, accompanied by intelligent explanations that helped me use core muscles instead of flailing my limbs. Music like Nina Simone’s “Sinnerman” gave the class energy without an aggressive gym attitude.
                I did have safety concerns regarding pace. In the first six minutes, we did a quick marching exercise followed by major push up variations, planks, and side. Within the same six minutes, we stood and lifted weights in a bent-knee position with the back at a neutral diagonal. 
Although this progression warmed me up, I felt dizzy from the quick transitions from standing to floor to standing. Moreover, I could not hold my back in a neutral diagonal while lifting weights. My lower back, hamstrings, and shoulders did not feel warm enough.
I have great respect for the last half of class. We fatigued each major muscle group and stretched appropriately. I felt cooled down physically and emotionally. Afterwards, I made full use of the beautiful showers, products, and plush bathrobes. I walked out feeling tall and beautiful.
The next day
My abs burned, but my hip flexors killed. Note to people: hip flexors are not your core or your abs. Hip flexers connect your legs to your back. They are already strong from sitting at the computer.
Overall, a great class, but not great enough for the $35. Student rates are $20 a class with proper identification. Ask for student rates before they swipe your credit card because they will not give you the $15! Definitely Central Park South.

No comments:

Post a Comment